1/1 Photo of Hamburger Minestrone Soup (South Beach Diet)
Halcyon Eve's Note:
I came across this recipe for minestrone, adapted for the South Beach Diet, on the 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet boards a few years ago. It's become a family favorite since. It makes quite a lot of soup, but it reheats well. If making this for the South Beach Diet, watch out for added sugar in the tomatoes and beans-- a lot of canned beans and tomato products have sugar added to them. You can also substitute very lean ground turkey and chicken broth for the beef.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef (less than 10% fat)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 quart reduced-sodium fat-free beef broth
- 6 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice, undrained (no sugar added)
- 2 cups finely shredded cabbage (I use bagged coleslaw salad mix to save time)
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained (or canneloni or great northern beans, no sugar added)
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- salt & pepper
- parmesan cheese, for garnish
- 1Brown beef ovr medium heat in a 6-quart soup pot and drain (rinse in hot water, drain, and return to pot, if desired).
- 2Add onion and garlic. Cook until onion is tender.
- 3Add remaining ingredients (except cheese) and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 4Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- 5Serve with Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top, if desired.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hamburger Minestrone Soup (South Beach Diet)
Serving Size: 1 (254 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 114.4
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 28.1 mg
- Sodium 228.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 12.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-sodium fat-free beef broth