Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I came across this recipe for minestrone, adapted for the South Beach Diet, on the 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet boards a few years ago. It's become a family favorite since. It makes quite a lot of soup, but it reheats well. If making this for the South Beach Diet, watch out for added sugar in the tomatoes and beans-- a lot of canned beans and tomato products have sugar added to them. You can also substitute very lean ground turkey and chicken broth for the beef.
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef (less than 10% fat)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 quart reduced-sodium fat-free beef broth
- 6 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice, undrained (no sugar added)
- 2 cups finely shredded cabbage (I use bagged coleslaw salad mix to save time)
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained (or canneloni or great northern beans, no sugar added)
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- salt & pepper
- parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Brown beef ovr medium heat in a 6-quart soup pot and drain (rinse in hot water, drain, and return to pot, if desired).
- Add onion and garlic. Cook until onion is tender.
- Add remaining ingredients (except cheese) and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top, if desired.
GREAT recipe!!! I added an additional cup of cabbage mix, 3 bouillon cubes, lots of garlic powder and pepper for a more intense flavor. Fast and easy to make on those busy nights, especially if the ground beef is precooked. : ) Very satisfying! This one is a keeper!
Loved this soup so much! I was actually surprised how much we enjoyed this, as we aren't big on cabbage. We are in week 2 of Phase 1 of the SB Diet and this is a nice, filling soup. I will make this many more times! Thx for sharing.
This is an awesome soup. Followed the recipe as is except, i used home canned tomatoes and only 1 tablespoon of Italian Seasoning. Have made several times and will make many more times.