Prep 3 mins
Cook 9 mins
Posted from the Rocky Mountain News Wednesday Spotlight Section
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 slices deli ham
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 4 slices monterey jack and cheddar cheese blend
- 2 slices deli turkey
- 1 slice mushrooms (to garnish) or 1 sprig fresh herb (to garnish)
- fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat a heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Add the butter and let it melt, gently turning the skillet to coat it evenly with the butter.
- Add the ham and cook 1 to 2 minutes or until slightly browned and crisp set aside.
- To assemble the sandwich top one slice of bread with 2 slices of cheese, then 1 slice of ham, followed by both slices of turkey the second slice of ham and the remaining cheese.
- Finish with the second slice of bread.
- Return the skillet to the burner over medium heat.
- Add the sandwich and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until the bottom slice is nicely browned and crisp.
- Spray the top of the sandwich with cooking spray then set the mushroom slice or herbs on top.
- Sprinkle with pepper.
- Carefully flip the sandwich holding the herbs or mushroom in place.
- Place a plate on top on the sandwich and weigh it down with a heavy can or kettle filled with water (or other flat heavy object such as a cast iron skillet).
- Grill for another 3 to 4 minutes or until the bread is browned and the cheese melted.
- Use a spatula to carefully transfer the sandwich to a plate flipping to display the garnish.