Recipe by punkarooni
This is the real deal. I found this recipe in an old church cookbook. This recipe was submitted by my great aunt that came over from Germany. We like the sauce so much that I make 1/2 again what the recipe calls for.
Top Review by KRB
Hi Punkarooni! This was such a good recipe. My mom used to make something like it when we were little - she called it poor man's dinner. I have been looking all over for a recipe that compares and this is the ticket! I even screwed up the sauce - forgot to boil and thicken it before adding it to the casserole dish - and it still thickened during cooking and turned out sooooo good! Thanks for helping me find this great link to childhood dinners!
- 453.59 g ham, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 14.79 ml bacon fat
- 29.58 ml butter
- 29.58 ml flour
- 354.88 ml milk
- 6-8 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
Directions See How It's Made
- Pan fry ham in bacon fat until brown. Place in well buttered casserole dish.
- Melt butter in a sauce pan, remove from heat and blend in flour. Return to heat and add milk. Stir over direct heat until sauce boils and thickens.
- Arrange potatoes over ham and pour hot sauce over them. Bake in slow oven (325 degrees) until potatoes are tender, about 1 hour. Cover for first 1/2 hour then remove cover.