1 hr 20 mins
An excellent way to use up leftover bread. It can be prepared in advance for baking the next day, if desired. It works particularly well with day-old bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 cups cooked ham, cubed
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, cubed
- 3 cups French bread, cubed
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups milk
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1Generously smear a 9x13x2 baking dish with softened butter.
- 2Stir together flour, mustard powder and optional cayenne. Combine ham cubes and cheese cubes; toss with flour mixture until well-coated. Add bread cubes and toss to distribute.
- 3Whisk together eggs, milk and hot sauce.
- 4Spread 1/3 of bread/ham/cheese cubes in a single layer in prepared baking dish. Drizzle with 1 tbsp melted butter, then sprinkle with 1 tbsp grated Parmesan. Repeat twice more, to form three layers. Pour egg mixture evenly over the top, then sprinkle with the last 1 tbsp of Parmesan. (The dish can be covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated overnight if desired. Let it come back up to room temperature while preheating the oven, at least 30 minutes, before proceeding.).
- 5Preheat oven to 350°F Bake, uncovered, until set, golden brown and crispy, about 1 hour.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ham and Cheese Strata
Serving Size: 1 (199 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 391.1
- Calories from Fat 209
- Total Fat 23.3 g
- Saturated Fat 12.0 g
- Cholesterol 147.0 mg
- Sodium 484.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 22.7 g