1/1 Photo of Halloween Waffles
1 hr 15 mins
Dorie Greenspan; suggested toppings—maple syrup, homemade applesauce, pumpkin butter, or maple butter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 ounces acorn squash, peeled and seeded
- 1 medium mcintosh apple
- 1/3 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon double-acting baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/4 cups apple cider
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 1Preheat waffle iron; if you want to hold the finished waffles until serving time, preheat your oven to 200°.
- 2Melt butter; reserve.
- 3Use the large-holed side of a box grater to grate the acorn squash; you should have 1 ¼ cups packed shredded squash.
- 4Place the squash in a bowl; peel and core apple; cut it into small dice and add it to the bowl with the squash; add in pecans, stir to mix; set aside.
- 5In a big bowl, whisk the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and cloves.
- 6In another bowl, whisk the cider, syrup, and eggs together until very well mixed.
- 7Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir with a whisk until just combined.
- 8Stir in the squash, apple, and pecan and fold in the melted butter.
- 9Lightly butter or spray the grids of your waffle iron; brush or spray again only if subsequent waffles stick.
- 10Spoon out a scant 1 cup of batter onto the grids; use a metal spatula or wooden spoon to spread the chunky batter evenly across the grids.
- 11Close the lid and bake until golden.
- 12If you are not serving the waffles immediately, put them in a single layer on a baking sheet, loosely covered with foil, in the preheated oven while you make the rest of the batter.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Halloween Waffles
Serving Size: 1 (1099 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 355.0
- Calories from Fat 154
- Total Fat 17.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 109.0 mg
- Sodium 384.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 7.5 g