Recipe by KateL
Entered for safe-keeping. From Sam Miles's "Guilt Free Gourmet". The sauces have also been saved separately as Guilt Free West Coast Asian-style Sauce and Guilt Free West Coast Cheese Sauce. Note that carrots will take a few minutes more to cook than other vegetables.
Top Review by Outta Here
WOW! Great combination of vegies. I used the Asian sauce and it was perfect. I had planned to have a little leftover to chill and use on a salad the next day, but we just kept eating them and they were gone. I think this would be a great chilled dish during the summer.
- 1 cup asparagus tips, trimmed and steamed
- 1 cup carrot, sliced thin, cooked
- 2 red onions, diced, steamed
- 1⁄4 lb mushroom, sliced and steamed (or sauteed in 2 tablespoons chicken broth)
- 1 cup cauliflower floret, steamed
SAUCE 1 - ASIAN-STYLE SAUCE
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce or 1⁄4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted (2 minutes in medium-high pan)
SAUCE 2 - CHEESE SAUCE
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat sour cream
- 6 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons Butter Buds
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated skim milk, up to 1 cup to desired consistency
Directions See How It's Made
- Steam vegetables, allowing additional time for carrots.
- While vegetables are cooking, choose from Sauce 1 or Sauce 2, combine the sauce ingredients in a small saucepan, bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve veggies while hot with a small amount of sauce poured over.