Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is an excellent recipe from Chef George Duran. Get yourself invited to the next BBQ bash!! Make a batch of this guasacaca and tell everyone to drizzle it over everything- meat, chicken, fish- even vegtables and potatoes!! You will become a neighborhood hero!!
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 green sweet peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped (1 & 1/2 cups)
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and seeded
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup olive oil
- desired grilled meat (such as skirt steak, ribs, sausage, etc)
- Put eveything except the olive oil and meat into a food processor and process until mostly smooth. Add the olive oil in a stream with the processor running and process until smooth. Let stand at room temp for at least 1 hr fpr the flavors to blend. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Meanwhile, heat grill to high. Generously sprinkle flank steak with salt and ground black pepper. Place steak on grill and cook for 5 minutes on each side for med. rare doneness.
- Serve sauce at room temp with your flank steak (or whatever you choose). Cover leftover sauce and store in refrigerator. Bring back to room temp before serving the next time.
Venezuelan guasacaca is not "based" with avocado. Tomatoes and onions, cilantro if you like it. No olive oil please; regular corn oil will do better; try aji dulce instead of green peppers, add some hot pepper for spice.
If you like guacamole then by all means add the avocado!
I'm usually not one to grill steaks, but my other half is always after me to do 'em, so, after making this recipe, I did just that, & this sauce went very nicely with that & the grilled potatoes! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in New Kids on the Block tag]