Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
These burgers are fabulous and can be done on the bbq as well.
- 1 avocado
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced scallion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro, to taste
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- fresh ground pepper
- 5 ounces thinly sliced sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 whole wheat hamburger buns (if you can get bakery, seeded rolls, so much the better)
- 2 radishes, sliced thin
- Halve, pit and peel avocado.
- Mash ¼ of avocado with a fork; add lemon juice and salt to taste; mash until smooth.
- Stir in tomato, scallion, cilantro, and remaining avocado, cut into ¼ inch cubes.
- Fold together gently but thoroughly.
- Cover surface with plastic wrap.
- Handling beef as little as possible, divide it into thirds, shape each third into a patty and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat a well-seasoned, ridged, cast-iron pan over moderately-high heat (or grill on bbq) until hot and cook the hamburgers 5 ½ minutes per side for rare.
- Top with cheese slices and cook, covered, for 1 minute, to melt cheese.
- Transfer to a plate and let stand, tented loosely with foil, for 3 minutes, to finish cooking.
- Transfer to hamburger buns; top with guacamole and sliced radishes and serve.
This recipe makes the best guacamole! I can see this recipe as having many uses!! I loved it served on the grilled cheeseburgers with whole wheat buns! Simple to prepare. Outstanding! Thank you, Evelyn!