Bone Man's Note:
I like to eat supper outdoors, in my Grotto (The Ancient and much-Revered Ospidillo Grotto!) and this is a great, easy casserole that I can enjoy there. And did you notice? There's no red meat in this dish. Lots of flavors and there's no can of soup in it either! I'll bet your family will like it just fine. Who gave me the recipe? I drank too many beers in the Grotto and I don't remember! Sorry!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons salted butter (divided)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 2 cups whole milk (pre-heated to about 100 degrees in microwave)
- 1 large tomato, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1 1/2 cups monterey jack cheese, with jalapenas (shredded, divided)
- 3 1/2 cups medium pasta shells, cooked and drained (or, bowtie pasta)
- 1 lb imitation crabmeat, chopped
- 1/2 cup seasoned dry bread crumb
- 2 quarts water (for boiling pasta)
- 1 teaspoon table salt (for boiling pasta)
- Pam cooking spray
- 1Cook your pasta in lightly salted water (about 2/3 of a pound, dry) until tender and drain. Set aside.
- 2In a large saucepan, over medium heat, saute the bell pepper and scallions in 2 tablespoons of the butter until tender.
- 3Blend in the flour and salt into the pepper-scallion mix, stirring constantly. Gradually stir in the pre-warmed milk. Bring to a boil.
- 4Cook and stir the boiling sauce until it thickens and then remove from heat. Stir in the tomato and parsley. Stir in one cup of the cheese until it melts, then, stir in the pasta and crabmeat.
- 5Transfer this mix into a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish which has been sprayed with Pam. Cover and bake in a pre-heated 350-degree F. oven for 20 minutes.
- 6Melt remaining butter and toss it with the bread crumbs.
- 7After the casserole has been in the oven for 20 minutes, remove it and sprinkle first the buttered bread crumbs over it, and then the remaining cheese (on top of the crumbs).
- 8Bake UNCOVERED for 5-10 more minutes. The top should be golden brown.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grotto Seafood-Pasta Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (464 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 399.7
- Calories from Fat 139
- Total Fat 15.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 51.6 mg
- Sodium 1247.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 9.0 g
- Protein 17.8 g