Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
I've been called a redneck for this sort of thing. but i figure Hey, if the shoe fits, why not. it's fun and tasty. hope you enjoy it. easy to change up the flavors with different kinds of cheese. I like using soft and semi soft cheeses as they melt easier. if you don't like garlic you can change to what ever savory herb works for you. I've used basil, rosemary, thyme as well.
- cook grits in salted water.
- when cooked remove from heat, add cheese, butter, garlic and egg yolks.
- stir until cheese and butter have melted.
- fold in egg whites.
- put in greased casserole. (I use an 8x8).
- Bake @ 350 degrees F for 45 minutes.
Had this for breakfast today and it was so nice, DH loves grits and this just takes it a step above the ordinary. Clear directions and nice comforting start to the day. I used a monteray jack cheese and sprinkled the top with Cayene Pepper before putting in the oven. I can see a lot of options with this too - I think next time I might add some crumbled bacon or sausage to the mix. We'll be using this again for sure.