These are decadent and wonderful and give a whole new meaning to "grilled cheese". Be sure to use a very good sourdough and the freshest of mushrooms. Note: This is a difficult sandwich to turn in the pan, but definitely worth the hassle. Enjoy!
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 8 ounces brie cheese (sliced)
- 4 ounces button mushrooms (quartered)
- 2 ounces shiitake mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 ounces oyster mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 medium shallot (chopped)
- 2 ounces white wine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (parsley, thyme, chives and or basil)
- soft butter (as needed)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (as needed)
- Saute the mushrooms in the olive oil in a medium sized pan for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the shallots and garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped herbs.
- Add the white wine and reduce until the liquid is evaporated.
- Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper and set aside.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. Place the butter side down on four slices of the bread in a large non-stick fry pan at medium-low heat.
- Divide the mushrooms into four and place them evenly on the four slices of bread.
- Top the mushrooms with the Brie and cover with the other slices of buttered bread. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown; then turn and cook on the other side for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Cut and serve immediately.
Gourmet Adult Grilled Cheese-what a great idea!!! :) I couldn't find fresh oyster mushrooms, only dried, so I just added extra shiitakes. This was easy and made a delicious dinner with a green salad. These will be made again! (P.S.-to make them easier to turn, I stuck 2 toothpicks in each one, to help hold them together. Worked great) Made for TOP FAVORITES of 2009 COOKBOOKS TAG GAME.
I had this sandwich at a local restaurant and it is divine. The only thing they do differently was add a light spread of dijon mustard on the bread.
So good and tastes fancy! I made this with button and baby portabella mushrooms. For the fresh herbs I used parsley, chives and basil. Cut the recipe down for just 1 sandwich but had extra mushrooms so I can make another one later in the week for lunch. Made for Zaar Stars.