Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe I do after work during the summer when I'm trying to keep the kitchen cool. I prepare it in the morning and let the chicken marinate in the fridge all day. Prep time does not include marinating time.
- Combine scallions, garlic, honey, sherry, ginger and soy sauce.
- Place chicken in a resealable plastic bag and pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Close the bag and marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Or, refrigerate it overnight.
- Turn occasionally to keep sauce distributed evenly on the chicken.
- Remove chicken from bag and pour sauce into a small saucepan.
- Bring sauce to a boil and let boil for one full minute.
- Grill chicken over hot coals, turning as needed to prevent charring and to cook evenly.
- Grill until just done, about 25 minutes.
- Brush with sauce as needed to keep moist.
- Serve chicken with remaining sauce and hot cooked rice.
These were very easy to make (I did then under the broiler since I don't have a grill yet) and my boyfriend thought they were delicious. I didn't use the scallions since I can't eat onions and I used more garlic -- 4 cloves -- to make up for that and they turned out very nicely. I still prefer teriyaki marinade, but this was almost as good.