Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found this recipe last summer on Epicourious.com. It was the "hit" recipe of the season! Perfect along side a grilled steak. If you love portobello mushrooms, you will love this salad!
- 7 large portabella mushrooms, stemmed (about 2 lbs)
- 2⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 (5 ounce) package mixed baby greens
- Prepare barbeque (medium heat).
- Brush both sides of mushrooms with 1/3 cup olive oil.
- Place whole mushrooms and whole red bell peppers on grill rack.
- Grill till mushrooms are tender and bell peppers are blackened on all sides, turning occasionally, about 20 minutes for mushrooms and 25 minutes for bell peppers.
- Transfer mushrooms to a plate.
- Enclose bell peppers in a paper bag.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Peel and seed peppers.
- Cut mushrooms and bell peppers into 1/2 inch wide strips.
- Season mushrooms and peppers with salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, chopped fresh rosemary and garlic clove in food processor.
- With machine running, gradually add the remaining 1/3 cup of olive oil and proces until well blended.
- Season dressing with salt and pepper to taste.
- Arrange mixed greens on a large platter.
- Top with mushroom strips, and then red bell pepper strips.
- Drizzle dressing over all and serve.
I will admit I didn't create the entire recipe as I didn't have the mushrooms but this will be made in its entirety at some point in the future. I made the rosemary dressing with (as you guessed) more garlic and another teaspoon of red wine vinegar (I love vinegar). This was such a nice change from the usual dressing and I was able to use some of my fresh rosemary from the garden! Thanks for a great recipe.
Delicious, perfect salad with a really nice grilled flavor from the mushrooms and peppers. I was skeptical of the dressing until it was combined with all of the vegetables- soooooo delish. A definite keeper- thanks yooper!