Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Modified from Italian Cooking and Living, December 2001/January 2002
Make and share this Grilled Portabella Mushrooms Fra Diavolo recipe from Food.com.
- 4 portabella mushroom caps
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, cut into long, thin strips
- 1 cup freshly grated parmigiano
- 4 basil sprigs
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup fresh tomato sauce
- Score the mushroom caps and toss with olive oil and garlic then marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat a grill pan over med high heat for five minutes then add mushrooms top down. Cook 5 minutes then turn, sprinkle with wine, bursh with butter and coook five more minutes or until soft.
- Sauce: heat oil in pot over medium heat. Add the garlic, chili, oregano and cook 1 minute then add the tomato and cook for five more.
- Preheat oven to 450. Place mushrooms top up in oiled roasting pan. Season with salt and pepper. Top with cheese. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Serve: Spoon sauce onto plates. Top with the mushrooms and basil. Serve.
This recipe is amazing...absolutely loved it...It was a great hit with my family and they beg me to make it again! I added some more red hot pepper to kick up the heat! Great recipe!!!Lots of flavor and simple to make!!