Prep 10 mins
Cook 16 mins
Food & Wine Magazine, August 2004. I saw this and found it very interesting. Except for the torn basil leaves - I subbed with some flat-leaf parsley.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs small eggplants, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- more extra virgin olive oil, for brushing on vegetable
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 crusty rolls, split in half
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄3 cup celery leaves
- 1⁄2 cup flat leaf parsley
- 1⁄3 cup snipped chives
- 1⁄3 cup basil leaves, torn
- 3⁄4 cup shaved parmesan cheese
- Light a grill or heat the broiler.
- Brush the eggplants with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, until charred and softened, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board and coarsely chop.
- Brush the cut sides of the rolls with olive oil and grill on both sides until lightly toasted, about 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the 1/2 cup of olive oil with the vinegar and garlic.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the eggplant, celery, celery leaves, parsley, chives and basil and toss to coat.
- Mound the salad on the rolls and top with the Parmesan.
- Close the sandwiches, cut them in half and serve.