Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Crazy but delicious. Prep time include marinading time.
- 2 cups water
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon yellow food coloring
- 2 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 chicken, halved or quartered
- In a blender, combine the water, salt, pepper, garlic and food coloring.
- Blend on high speed for about 15 seconds.
- Add the pineapple juice and the lime juice to the marinade and blend for another 5 seconds.
- Pour the marinade into a bowl and let the chicken marinate for 45 minutes.
- Turn the chicken over and let it soak for another 30 minutes.
- Fire up the barbie (that means heat up the grill, not aim a flame-thrower at your daughter's prized doll).
- Broil the chicken on the open grill for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, until the skin is a nice golden brown and crispy.
- Make sure the flames don't scorch the chicken, or you are going to get black skin and raw chicken.
- If using a gas grill, lower the heat if necessary and be patient, that chicken need slow cooking.
- If you are using a charcoal grill, you can spray a little water on the charcoal to keep the flames at bay.
- Turn the chicken often as it cooks.
- Cut the chicken into 8 pieces.
- Make sure to cut the breast in half and the thighs from the legs.
Yum! This chicken has a very subtle, delicious flavor. I made it using boneless, skinless breasts instead, and used less than 1 tsp. pepper, because 2 seemed like way too much for me! I also let it marinate for a couple of hours, and it turned out great. This one's a keeper!