Recipe by Manami
This was in Food & Wine Magazine, August 2004 in their article about sandwiches. I always am looking for interesting looking sandwiches -- it gives me ideas so Allison & I can work on the menu. Allison is our dietitian.
- 3 chorizo sausages, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 8 slices sourdough bread (from a pullman loaf)
- 6 ounces monterey jack pepper cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons pickled jalapeno peppers (drained and sliced)
- 6 ounces havarti cheese, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, cook the sliced chorizo over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
- Drain the chorizo on paper towels and wipe out the skillet.
- Butter the bread on 1 side and turn 4 slices buttered side down on a work surface.
- Top with pepper jack, chorizo, pickled jalapeños and Havarti.
- Close the sandwiches with the remaining bread slices, turning the buttered side up.
- Preheat 2 large skillets.
- Add the sandwiches and cook over moderate heat, turning once, until the bread is golden and crisp, about 8 minutes.
- Cut the sandwiches in half and serve.