1/1 Photo of Grilled Cheddar, Tomato and Bacon Sandwiches
From Bon Appétit, March 2000. Makes the ordinary special. Good for breakfast, lunch, dinner or even brunch and late-night snack. Spreading a little mayonnaise over the outside of the bread before grilling adds golden color and delicious crunch. Experiment with different cheeses, like munster and maybe add a sliced jalapeno. Recipe can easily be reduced for even a single serving.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 bacon, slices thick-cut
- 8 slices country-style sourdough bread (can sub 7 grain, farmhouse or other hardy bread)
- 2 cups packed grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese (about 8 ounces)
- 8 tomatoes, slices seeds removed, slices drained on paper towels
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- fresh basil leaf (optional)
- pickle (optional)
- 1Cook bacon in heavy large skillet over medium heat until brown and crisp, turning occasionally, about 6 minutes. Transfer bacon to paper towels and drain. Wash and dry skillet.
- 2Place 4 bread slices on work surface. Press 1/4 cup grated cheese onto each slice. Top each with 2 tomato slices the optional basil leaves. Sprinkle with pepper. Place 2 bacon slices atop each, breaking into pieces if necessary to fit. Press 1/4 cup grated cheese over bacon on each. Top sandwiches with remaining bread slices, then spread 1/2 tablespoon mayonnaise over top (outside) of each sandwich.
- 3Spray with non-stick cooking spray 2 heavy large skillets. Heat skillets over medium heat. Add 2 sandwiches, mayonnaise side down, to each skillet. Place plate atop both sandwiches to weigh down. Cook sandwiches until bottom is golden brown, about 2 minutes. Spread top of each sandwich with 1/2 tablespoon mayonnaise. Turn sandwiches over, mayonnaise side down. Top with plates and cook until golden brown on bottom, about 2 minutes. Transfer sandwiches to work surface. Cut sandwiches crosswise in half and serve with pickle.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Cheddar, Tomato and Bacon Sandwiches
Serving Size: 1 (313 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 810.7
- Calories from Fat 331
- Total Fat 36.8 g
- Saturated Fat 17.7 g
- Cholesterol 84.0 mg
- Sodium 1316.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 86.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 11.0 g
- Protein 35.6 g