Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
The 2010 Central New York Tomato Festival second place winning recipe, courtesy of Elizabeth Koenig (Owasco). Best when served warm. Try it with lightly sweetened whipped cream, with a good vanilla ice cream or with mild cheddar cheese.
- 2 pie crusts (either your own recipe, Most Incredible No Fail Pie Crust, or store bought)
- 3 cups green tomatoes, sliced
- 1 large apple, peeled and diced (Granny Smith apple preferred, but any good baking apples will do)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Toss tomatoes and apples in a large bowl with lemon juice.
- Add sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt. Mix well.
- Put one pie crust in 9” pie pan.
- Spread ½ of the mixture into the pie crust and dot with 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Spread the other ½ of the mixture on top and dot with 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Cover with the top crust and crimp the edges with the tines of a fork.
- Cut slits in the top of the crust for steam to escape.
- Bake at 425º F for 15 minutes. Then, reduce heat to 350º F and cook for another 45 minutes.
- In the last 15 minutes of baking time, sprinkle pie crust with 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Cool slightly before serving.