Recipe by mollypaul
The 2010 Central New York Tomato Festival second place winning recipe, courtesy of Elizabeth Koenig (Owasco). Best when served warm. Try it with lightly sweetened whipped cream, with a good vanilla ice cream or with mild cheddar cheese.
- 2 pie crusts (either your own recipe, Most Incredible No Fail Pie Crust, or store bought)
- 3 cups green tomatoes, sliced
- 1 large apple, peeled and diced (Granny Smith apple preferred, but any good baking apples will do)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Toss tomatoes and apples in a large bowl with lemon juice.
- Add sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt. Mix well.
- Put one pie crust in 9” pie pan.
- Spread ½ of the mixture into the pie crust and dot with 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Spread the other ½ of the mixture on top and dot with 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Cover with the top crust and crimp the edges with the tines of a fork.
- Cut slits in the top of the crust for steam to escape.
- Bake at 425º F for 15 minutes. Then, reduce heat to 350º F and cook for another 45 minutes.
- In the last 15 minutes of baking time, sprinkle pie crust with 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Cool slightly before serving.