1/5 Photos of Green Tea Japanese Sponge Cake - Kasutera
1 hr 30 mins
This is a recipe that I picked up from a girlfriend of mine that is from Japan. We go to school together so we have ended up having a lot of late study nights. This is the recipe that she showed me. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Separate the egg whites from yolks into two large bowls.
- 2Whisk sugar, honey, vanilla, green tea powder, and salt into egg yolks until everything is mixed together.
- 3Place bowl in a large pan of hot water.
- 4With an electric mixer, beat about 5 minutes on medium-high speed until pale yellow and doubled in volume.
- 5Gently fold in flour.
- 6In the large bowl, beat egg whites in electric mixer on a low speed 1 minute, increasing speed to medium-high until eggs are foamy.
- 7When the eggs are foamy, sprinkle in one tablespoon of sugar and cream of tartar.
- 8Beat until the egg mixture is stiff.
- 9Using a spatula, fold the egg whites gently so the bubbles in eggs are not destroyed.
- 10Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- 11Use parchment to line the bottom of two loaf pans.
- 12Grease the parchment.
- 13Pour batter into pan.
- 14Place pans on middle rack of oven 35 to 45 minutes or until golden brown. When done, cake sides will pull away from pan slightly; top will be flat and feel spongy when pressed with finger.
- 15Cool for 20 minutes.
- 16Run a small knife between edge of cake and pan. Remove from pan carefully.
- 17Pull off parchment and cool completely.
- 18Cut, serve and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Japanese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Tea Japanese Sponge Cake - Kasutera
Serving Size: 1 (76 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 250.0
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 162.7 mg
- Sodium 135.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 33.9 g
- Protein 7.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
green tea powder