This is a recipe that I picked up from a girlfriend of mine that is from Japan. We go to school together so we have ended up having a lot of late study nights. This is the recipe that she showed me. Enjoy!
- Separate the egg whites from yolks into two large bowls.
- Whisk sugar, honey, vanilla, green tea powder, and salt into egg yolks until everything is mixed together.
- Place bowl in a large pan of hot water.
- With an electric mixer, beat about 5 minutes on medium-high speed until pale yellow and doubled in volume.
- Gently fold in flour.
- In the large bowl, beat egg whites in electric mixer on a low speed 1 minute, increasing speed to medium-high until eggs are foamy.
- When the eggs are foamy, sprinkle in one tablespoon of sugar and cream of tartar.
- Beat until the egg mixture is stiff.
- Using a spatula, fold the egg whites gently so the bubbles in eggs are not destroyed.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Use parchment to line the bottom of two loaf pans.
- Grease the parchment.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Place pans on middle rack of oven 35 to 45 minutes or until golden brown. When done, cake sides will pull away from pan slightly; top will be flat and feel spongy when pressed with finger.
- Cool for 20 minutes.
- Run a small knife between edge of cake and pan. Remove from pan carefully.
- Pull off parchment and cool completely.
- Cut, serve and enjoy!