Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From the Whole Foods website. The websites reminds you that the tea leaves contain caffine.
Make and share this Green Tea and Tamarind-Marinated Tofu With Vegetables recipe from Food.com.
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons prepared tamarind paste
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon jasmine green tea leaves
- 1 (14 ounce) package firm tofu, drained and patted dry, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil or 1 tablespoon canola oil, more if needed
- tamari, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄2 large red onion, sliced
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- 2 cups packed broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- Place garlic, ginger, tamarind sauce, rice vinegar and tea leaves in a container with a tight fitting lid. Add tofu cubes and toss well. Marinate all day or overnight, shaking the container occasionally to distribute the marinade.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain the tofu and reserve the marinade. Add tofu and tamari to taste to hot oil and cook, stirring almost constantly for 5 to 7 minutes, or until tofu is very hot. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add additional oil to the hot skillet if needed, followed by the vegetables and remaining marinade. Again, season to taste with tamari. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, or until broccoli is crisp-tender and pan juices have evaporated. Return tofu to skillet and toss to combine. Drizzle with sesame oil and serve.
We thought this was good, but aren't sure why it wasn't more flavorful and a home run for us with all our favorite ingredients. I used shiitake mushrooms and decaff green tea. This served two as a main dish with brown rice.
Excellent recipe packed with flavour! I marinated the tofu overnight, and I used lemongrass and lemon myrtle green tea leaves instead of the jasmine because that's what I had on hand. The lemongrass really heightens the tamarind. For the fresh mushrooms, I went with enokis, and I used rice bran oil in place of the peanut for stir frying. Healthy and satisfying. Thanks AJO!