Recipe by Happy Hippie
This recipe is published in one of my favorite little cookbooks, "Taste of Home Fast Fixes with Mixes." My daughter made these terrific muffins while she was here on vacation. They were very easy to make using a cake mix and corn bread mix. To double the recipe, use a standard 18-ounce box of yellow cake mix. These go great with chili, mexican soup and other tex-mex dishes. Everybody, adults and kids alike, loved them. If I recall correctly, she did not use paper muffin liners, they were put into greased tins. She made several standard size muffins as well as jumbo muffins. These would freeze well so is good for OAMC.
Top Review by miklinrorason
My second batch of these is baking right now. I was looking for a recipe I saw before with cheese and chilies when I stumbled across this one. I needed a lot of muffins for a chili cook off. I wasn't sure about the cake mix, but it made the muffins sweet and so yummy. My fussy 6 and 8 yr. olds are hovering the kitchen right now hoping to get another one. This is going to be a potluck go to recipe for me. Thanks! YUM!
- 8 1⁄2 ounces corn muffin mix
- 9 ounces yellow cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 ounces green chilies, chopped, drained
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded, divided (4 oz.)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, combine dry corn bread and cake mixes.
- In another bowl, combine the eggs, milk, water and oil.
- Stir wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Add chilies and 3/4 cup cheese.
- Fill greased or paper lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-22 minutes or until muffins test done.
- Immediately sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- Serve warm.