Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is very good and very easy. A co-workers wife gave this to my husband for me years ago, I don't remember the names. But it is great! Use it to smother burritos, rellenos, anything!, or eat it just like this with flour tortillas, YUM! I freeze the left over in serving sizes.
- 4 -8 ounces pork, cut into small bite size pieces
- 1⁄4 cup shortening or 1⁄4 cup oil
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 (20 ounce) can whole green chilies
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped jalapenos
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- garlic powder
- brown pork.
- While pork is cooking, puree chili's, tomatoes, water and jalepenos in blender or processor.
- When pork is done add flour and brown, then add blended mixture and bring to a simmer.
- Add more water if too thick.
- Add salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste and simmer 20 minutes then serve.
Spicy and delicious. I browned onions and garlice instead of using pork and added cumin and oregano as other reveiwers suggested.
Excellent. I have made it with both pork and chicken and both are fantastic. Gluten free so even my Mom could get involved. A real hit.
Thank you for liberating me from buying overpriced green chili sauces. I can now make my own! I do a vegetarian version and like Bayhill, use cumin (but no sugar). I also saute onions & garlic, and added fresh cilantro and lime juice. Better than I could have imagined, especially now that the Hatch chili roasting season is upon us.