Cook1 hr 5 mins
These flavorful beans can be made with fresh or frozen green beans.
Make and share this Green Beans the Old Fashioned Way recipe from Food.com.
- Wash beans and snap them into 1 1/2" pieces, discarding ends.
- Cover with water and add salt and bacon grease.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Turn down to simmer and continue cooking for about an hour.
- Pour off water and add 2 T butter. Let sit with lid on for a minute for butter to melt, then toss beans a little to distribute butter.
Very yummy!! Taste old-fashioned, that is for sure! Very simple and very tasty! Did add some onion for personal taste.
This is a good recipe. But I would have like to have more taste of bacon. Instead of adding butter at the end, it could be great to add bacon grease (yeah I know more fat but more flavour). I used seasoning salt (without sodium). I didn't let them cook 1 hour. Maybe 30 minutes. Thanks Puppitypup. Made for Beverage tag.
This is a delicious way to serve green beans! I used frozen green beans and they were very easy and very flavorful. I will be making them again.