Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a recipe I found in a Sunset Magazine. With its pesto-like flavorings and bright lemon dressing this is a great way to serve green beans. ***Note*** Make this about 3 hours ahead to allow the flavors blend.
- 3⁄4 cup hazelnuts
- 8 cups green beans, packed, stems trimmed and strings removed (about 3/4 lb)
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons hazelnut oil or 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spread nuts out on a baking pan and bake until golden under skins (break one to test), 10 to 15 minutes. When nuts are cool enough to handle, rub in a kitchen towel to remove as many skins as possible. Chop coarsely and set aside.
- In a 6 quart pot over high heat, bring 3 quarts water to a boil. Add green beans and cook until just crisp-tender, 4 to 7 minutes. Drain in a colander and plunge beans into a bowl of ice water to cool. Drain again and set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together the mint leaves, lemon zest, lemon juice, and salt to make the dressing. Drizzle in the hazelnut oil, whisking constantly.
- In a large bowl, gently toss the beans with dressing and hazelnuts. Serve at room temperature.