Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
from www.npr.org: "This festive coleslaw mimics colors of summer. It serves as a perfect dip with pita chips or bread, a chunky sandwich spread and a topping for other julienned vegetables. Kids love to top off their red and green pepper slices with this slaw and crunch away. It is also a perfect accompaniment to grilled cheese sandwiches."
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- 2 cups cucumbers, grated (Persian or English)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mint, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, fresh
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 1⁄2 cups Greek yogurt, plain (low fat or whole)
- 2 cups red peppers, finely julienned
- 2 cups green peppers, finely julienned
- fresh mint sprig (to garnish)
- Add 1/4 teaspoon salt to the grated cucumbers, mix lightly and set aside for about 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the olive oil, mint, garlic, lime juice, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Mix well and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Squeeze out the excess juice from the grated cucumbers and add the cucumbers to the dressing. Mix well.
- Add the yogurt and fold gently into the dressing. Keep aside 1 tablespoon each of the red and green bell peppers for garnish.
- Add the rest of the peppers to the yogurt mixture and mix gently.
- Garnish with sprigs of fresh mint.