Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
If you are an eggplant lover, then this is a must try.
- 3 (1/2 lb) eggplants
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 -4 minced fresh garlic cloves, to taste
- 1⁄3 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh mint leaves, to taste
- 3 fresh plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise, seeded, and cut into julienne strips
- 1 1⁄2 cups crumbled feta cheese, to taste
- Halve two of the eggplants lengthwise, score there pulp deeply with a sharp knife (careful not to pierce the skins).
- With a grapefruit knife, scoop out the pulp, reserving it, and leaving 1/2-inch thick shells.
- Sprinkle the shells with salt and pepper; invert (turn over) on paper towels to drain for 30 minutes.
- Cut the reserved pulp, and the remaining whole eggplant into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Transfer to a colander; toss with salt, and let them drain for 30 minutes.
- Pat the shells dry with paper towels, brush them with 1 Tbsp oil.
- Broil them on a rack of a broiler pan under a preheated broiler, about 4 inches from the heat for 5 minutes, or until they are tender.
- In a skillet, heat the remaining 3 Tbsp olive oil over moderately high heat until it is hot, but not smoking.
- Saute the eggplant pieces (that have been patted dry), stirring until they are golden.
- Stir in the chopped onion and the garlic; cook over medium heat until onion is softened.
- Remove the skillet from the heat; stir in the parsley, mint, tomatoes and feta cheese, adding salt and pepper to taste; stir to combine.
- Divide the filling among the shells mounding/heaping it.
- Broil the stuffed eggplants in a large flameproof baking dish for 5 minutes, or until the filling is bubbly and golden-- delicious!
Looking for an eggplant recipe stuffed with feta, but different from mine, I found this jewel.
Yes this was delicious, easy, light and sooo beautigful.
All my family loved this very much and I was glad I prepared more than what I needed. My children will be glad to enjoy this for lunch at school.
Thanks a lot for posting this recipe!