Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Homemade pork sausage with a hint of orange and herbs.
- 2 lbs pork shoulder, ground
- 1⁄2 lb pork fat, back ground
- 1 grated navel orange, rind of
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed in a garlic press (or mashed with knife)
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons anise seed
- 2 teaspoons coriander, ground
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons allspice, ground
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 long casing, cut in 7-8 inch pieces
- Combine pork shoulder, fat back, and remaining ingredients, except casings, in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate several hours.
- Rinse casings thoroughly in lukewarm water. Tie one end of a casing and stuff by pushing meat through a funnel inserted in the untied end; tie other end. Continue until all the meat and casings have been used.
- Poach sausages in boiling water for 1 hour. Cool. Cut into slices and fry in a skillet until browned.
- Note: If desired, omit casing, form sausage into patties, and fry until cooked.
- Culinary Arts Institute Greek Cookbook.