Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Found this in a magazine
- 2 eggplants (3 lb total)
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 large tomatoes, cored and roughly chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Cut a slit on 2 sides of each eggplant and place on baking sheet. Bake until eggplant is tender when pierced with a knife and skin has wrinkled, 45-60 minutes.
- When eggplants are cool enough to handle, cut in half lengthwise and scoop out pulp; discard skin. Place pulp in a blender with garlic, tomatoes, parsley, basil, olive oil and vinegar and blend at low speed until mostly smooth and thick. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate dip until ready to use. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve with pita wedges and sliced bell peppers, if desired.