Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 mins
Grapefruit sure cleans up nice! Delightfully different.
Make and share this Grapefruit Brulee recipe from Food.com.
- Position a rack in the upper third of the oven.
- Preheat the broiler to high.
- Halve each grapefruit, then loosen the segments by cutting along the membranes with a paring or grapefruit knife.
- Drizzle 2 teaspoons of rum evenly over each half.
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, sugar, flour, allspice, and salt.
- Using your fingertips, pinch the ingredients together until the mixture forms soft crumbs.
- Sprinkle the crumbs evenly over the cut grapefruits.
- Place grapefruits on a broiler pan, and broil until the crumbs are lightly browned, bubbling, and shiny, about 7 minutes.
- Serve immediately or cooled slightly.
Wow, what a mouth wake-up call! I [i]think[/i] I love it. Think. It's morning; I don't do mornings well. :-) The contrast between the warm crusty topping and the cold rummy grapefruit is astonishing but delicious. I suspect I had my oven rack too high and close to the broiler because it took only [u]one [/u]minute to bubble and brown nicely and as you can see from the photo, the rind was already blackened. I recommend adding "inches from the broiler" to the directions, if possible. Nonetheless...yum. I certainly will make it again. It definitely will impress company! It would make a terrific fruit dessert too.