Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
My husband found this recipe, we made them for his marathon and he loved them. I have substituted peanuts, for the walnuts and omitted the raisins and they still taste great. Chewy yet crunchy.
- 473.18 ml quick-cooking oats
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 177.44 ml packed brown sugar
- 177.44 ml raisins
- 118.29 ml wheat germ
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 118.29 ml chopped walnuts
- 118.29 ml vegetable oil
- 118.29 ml honey
- 1 large egg
- 9.85 ml vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a 13x9 inch pan with foil and spray with Pam.
- In a large bowl, stir together oats, flour, brown sugar, raisins,wheat germ, salt, cinnamon, and walnuts.
- In a smaller bowl, thoroughly blend oil, honey, egg, and vanilla; pour into flour mixture, and mix by hand until the liquid is evenly distributed.
- I use rubber gloves for this.
- Press evenly into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake 25-30 minutes in the oven or until the edges are golden.
- Cool completely in pan before turning out onto a cutting board and cutting into bars.
The first time I reviewed this I did not understand how to write a review...this was my first. These are better than the ones in the store...very chewy and full of the good stuff. They are easy to make and they keep well. Thank you jb4!!!!
I've made these twice now- the first time I thought they were way too sweet, more like a cookie type bar. The kids loved them though, and they are pretty healthy, a lot more healthy than most cookies. The second time, I cut the brown sugar back to 1/4 cup. I also used whole wheat pastry four, dried blueberries, and cut the oil to 1/2 cup, subbing plain applesauce. These came out perfect for me, and I don't think anyone else noticed. OH- I also added a couple tbs of ground flax seed. Yummy AND healthy! Thanks for posting!
These are great! I made some modifications, not as a criticism, but because I didn't have some of the ingredients. I mention this so you won't be afraid to try these if you've got a reasonable substitution. I subbed flax seed for the wheat germ and dried blueberries for the raisins. I also cut mine before they got too cool and got 12 very nice bars. I'll make them next with almonds! Thanks!