Recipe by Sue Lau
Recipe from Crystal Van Poppe in her booklet "Redneck Recipes"
Top Review by MarshHen
Another wonderful recipe that was handed down to me, except I've alway's used buttermilk and the bacon drippings and I bake mine in a pre-heated, greased cast iron frying pan. I buy my cracklings from my local grocery store. We love it served with a pot of greens and smoked ham.
- 1 cup pork crackling
- 1 cup white cornmeal
- 1 cup self rising flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup bacon drippings (may use cooking oil)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Mix together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Separately, mix together milk/buttermilk, eggs, and bacon drippings, Stir until smooth, then fold in cracklings.
- Pur into a greased 10 inch cake pan and bake at 425F for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cut into wedges and serve warm.