Prep 4 hrs
Cook 25 mins
Childhood memories of Sunday evening sandwiches or toast with "dipping jelly" The recipe called for "sifters of flour" so I did my best to convert the measurements. I even felt a little dirty buying lard, but would rather not have it at all than mess with this recipe
- 1182.95 ml all-purpose flour
- 1419.54 ml warm water
- 22.18 ml yeast
- 1182.95 ml whole wheat flour
- 946.36 ml all-purpose flour
- 118.29 ml lard
- 236.59 ml dry milk
- 78.07 ml honey
- 29.58 ml salt
- Melt lard.
- Sift first installment of white flour into warm water and yeast and mix mixer.
- Add honey, lard, salt, dry milk, and sifted wheat flour, continue to mix.
- Change to bread hook and add most of last installment of white flour.
- Continue to allow to knead, add enough of last flour to have it pull away from sides of mixer.
- Oil bowl and drop the dough in, oil on all sides.
- let rise 1 1/2 hours in warm place.
- punch down and let rise 1 more hour.
- divide into 3 and place in 3 greased bread tins rise one more time.
- bake 425 for 10 min and 375 for 15 min until hollow sound if tapped (int. temp 190-200).
"Praise the Lard" The best bread ever! Gotta have it with butter and raspberry jam.