1/6 Photos of Grandma's Noodle Kugel
1 hr 5 mins
This was my grandma's noodle kugel and is really easy to make. Leftovers are great cold for lunch the next day! It's a lot lighter than many of the other kugels I saw here, but I'm still looking for ways to make it healthier without changing the taste too much. I've already switched the sour cream & cottage cheese to 'light', and the milk to skim. I'd love suggestions for ways to lighten it even more. UPDATE: In an effort to recreate a sweet topping I tasted on another relative's kugel, I came up with a new optional oatmeal topping. I like it a lot better than the cornflakes or plain.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces wide egg noodles, cooked
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces light sour cream
- 16 ounces 1% fat cottage cheese
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Use the butter to grease a 9 x 11 glass baking dish.
- 3Add the rest of the butter to the hot noodles, and stir until melted.
- 4Add sour cream and cottage cheese to the noodles.
- 5Pour the noodles into the baking dish.
- 6Beat the eggs in a separate bowl. Add milk to the eggs and beat. Add sugar and stir. Pour over the noodles.
- 7If using oatmeal topping, melt butter in frying pan, then add oatmeal and brown sugar. Still until brown sugar dissolves and oatmeal is coated.
- 8Sprinkle either the crushed cornflakes (eliminate the butter & brown sugar) or oatmeal topping over the noodles.
- 9Bake for 40-45 minutes. Do not make in advance of when you plan to bake. The noodles will absorb the liquids and it will come out dry. It is done when some of the noodles on the top are just barely starting to lightly brown.
- 10Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grandma's Noodle Kugel
Serving Size: 1 (181 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 452.0
- Calories from Fat 146
- Total Fat 16.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.3 g
- Cholesterol 202.4 mg
- Sodium 481.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 23.7 g