Recipe by ChipotleChick
Another one of my dear Grandma Helen's recipes. Like I've said with others, the palate in her time was rather bland, so feel free to add spices to kick it up. I am posting her recipes as she made them in homage to the great woman and cook that she was. This recipe is especially good for catfish.
- 2⁄3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 lbs firm white fleshed fish filets (I recommend catfish)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup Crisco or 1 cup other shortening
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cornmeal, salt, and pepper in a bowl, then pour onto a plate.
- Rinse fish well and pat dry with paper towels.
- Dip fish in milk, then coat with cornmeal mix.
- Heat crisco over medium high heat in a large skillet.
- Add fish to pan.
- Fry until golden brown and flesh white.