Recipe by Lil' Miss Nikki
There's nothing like going to Grandma Terry's a big plate of beans and fried cornbread. A simple and very inexpensive meal.
Top Review by ladyfingers
Thanks for teaching us northerners how to make great southern beans. A nice smoky flavor to this easy, yet tasty recipe. Next time I will also follow reviewer breezermom's suggestion to add onion or garlic--saw it too late the first time.
Directions See How It's Made
- Start in the morning.
- Empty bag of beans into a strainer and clean, removing any bad ones and tossing them away.
- Pour beans and bacon to a dutch oven or stock pot. Add water til it's about 2 inch or so above the beans.
- Cook on medium heat, stirring ocationally and adding water as needed, til beans are tender. Around 4-5 hours.
- Lower heat to low and season to taste with salt and pepper. Continue simmering until ready to serve. Soups should thicken as it simmers.
- Remove bacon before serving.