Recipe by tracytrebilcox
While cleaning, my mom found her mother's cookbook, which included some of her written recipes, including my favorite, her candy Easter Eggs. Grandma had such a sweet tooth, that it's no surprise that this recipe was hard to read because it had been used so often.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons condensed milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 lbs confectioners' sugar (originally said 4x sugar)
- 1⁄2 cup maraschino cherry, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dates, chopped
- cherry extract
- 1⁄2 lb semisweet chocolate
- 1⁄2 piece paraffin wax
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat milk and butter until hot. Add sugar and salt. It will become a stiff fondant.
- Add about a teaspoon of flavoring (she would use the cherry juice from the maraschino cherries). Knead well.
- Let stand for 30 minutes, and then add in fruits and nuts. Shape into egg shapes, and let sit overnight in the refrigerator.
- Melt together chocolate and wax. Dip candy eggs into chocolate mixture, stirring chocolate after each dipped egg, and let dry thoroughly before adding any decorations.