Recipe by Sissylu
I got this recipe out of a magazine several years ago and it's one of my most favorite spaghetti sauces. It came from an Italian family in New Jersey. Thank you Grandma Gozzi!
Top Review by Chatty Patty
Hi Sissylu, I have made your recipe twice now.Â The first time I made it exactly as written.Â The second time I addedÂ some chopped green pepper along with the onions.Â I also threw inÂ some browned Italian sausage and Kittencals Melt in Your Mouth Meatballs and let it simmer for a couple of hours.Â The consistency of the sauce is fabulous.Â We don't like our spaghetti sauce to be runny or too thick. This sauce turned out perfect each time I made it. Thanks for posting a delicious recipe.
- 1⁄4 cup oil, preferably olive
- 1 onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (35 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, puree'
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic.
- Cook until onion softens, 5-8 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes and tomato puree'.
- Reduce heat to low; cook, partially covered, 1 hour.
- Stir in tomato paste, basil, oregano and 1 cup of water; cook, partially covered, until thickened, about 1 hour.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.