Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I got this recipe out of a magazine several years ago and it's one of my most favorite spaghetti sauces. It came from an Italian family in New Jersey. Thank you Grandma Gozzi!
- 1⁄4 cup oil, preferably olive
- 1 onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (35 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, puree'
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic.
- Cook until onion softens, 5-8 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes and tomato puree'.
- Reduce heat to low; cook, partially covered, 1 hour.
- Stir in tomato paste, basil, oregano and 1 cup of water; cook, partially covered, until thickened, about 1 hour.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Hi Sissylu, I have made your recipe twice now.Â The first time I made it exactly as written.Â The second time I addedÂ some chopped green pepper along with the onions.Â I also threw inÂ some browned Italian sausage and Kittencals Melt in Your Mouth Meatballs and let it simmer for a couple of hours.Â The consistency of the sauce is fabulous.Â We don't like our spaghetti sauce to be runny or too thick. This sauce turned out perfect each time I made it. Thanks for posting a delicious recipe.
This was fantastic! So easy and I always have these ingredients on hand. I smelled wonderful while it was cooking too. Thanks!