Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
5-Ingredient Fix Contest Entry. This is based on an old German recipe of my great grandmother. As a child I remember her peeling potatoes and shredding them. Then she wrapped them in a dish towel to absorb all of the moisture. I found I could make the same recipe without the hassle or fuss of having to wait for the potatoes to dry out and turn brown.
- 1 (20 ounce) bag Simply Potatoes® Shredded Hash Browns
- 1 medium white onion
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Empty the bag of potatoes onto a triple layer of paper towels just making sure you remove most of the moisture from the potatoes.
- Grate the onion over the potatoes.
- Using two bowls, separate the yolks and the whites of the eggs. Beat the egg whites until stiff. Whisk the yolks in a bowl adding the flour, salt and the potatoes with onion. Gently mix everything together. Fold in the egg whites gently to the mixture.
- Heat a skillet that has been coated with non stick spray or a small amount of vegetable oil to med-high heat. I drop the mixture by large spoonfuls into the pan and flatten them down. Cook for approximately 4 to 5 minutes per side or until nicely brown and crispy.
- Serve warm with applesauce and a nice platter of sausages.