Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
John Dalton was a former governor of Virginia. Eddy, his wife, put together my favorite cookbook as a fundraiser, and this is one of my favorite sweets also. I made a guess as to how many bars. It's not in the recipe and I can't remember.
- Sift flour before measuring.
- Cream butter with ½ cup brown sugar.
- Add 1 Cup flour. Mix to crumbly mass.
- Pat it evenly into 9x9 well-greased pan. Bake this pastry until delicately brown at 300°, 20 minute
- Remove from oven.
- Beat eggs until light.
- Add 1 cup brown sugar and vanilla.
- Mix well.
- Add 2 teaspoons flour which has been sifted with baking powder and salt.
- Add coconut and nuts.
- Spread over pastry and bake at 350°, 25 minute.
- Cool and cut into bars.