Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are wonderful little cheese puff appetizers that are great for parties (or anytime!)
Make and share this Gougeres French Cheese Puffs recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Add butter, salt, pepper and nutmeg to 1 cup water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- When butter melts, reduce the heat to low.
- Add flour to saucepan all at once and beat with a wooden spoon over low heat for about a minute until mixture pulls away from sides of the pan.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Add cheese to pan and beat with wooden spoon until thoroughly mixed.
- Add 4 eggs, one at a time, beating each into the batter until well mixed before adding the next.
- Continue beating mixture until it is smooth, shiny and firm.
- Drop batter in small spoonfuls onto a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Beat remaining egg with 1/2 tbsp water, then brush tops of uncooked gougeres with egg wash.
- Bake in upper third of the over for 15-20 minutes or until golden and doubled in size.
- Remove from oven serve hot or can be served at room temperature.
A good recipe they turned out beautifully, but 1/4 tsp. nutmeg is too much. Next time I'll use 1/8. Of course I used Swiss cheese, as Gruyere is way beyond my budget (30.00 a pound here), so that may have made the difference. I made the butter, water, salt, pepper, nutmeg and flour on the stove, then transferred the mixture to my stand mixer to finish it off. Worked beautifully!
I'm a beginner cook and I was very afraid at first. But they turned out very tasty. Even my mom, my first critic liked them a lot. Try them, you won't regret! Thanks for posting!
These were fantastic! Will definitely make them again. Thank you!