These are wonderful little cheese puff appetizers that are great for parties (or anytime!)
Make and share this Gougeres French Cheese Puffs recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Add butter, salt, pepper and nutmeg to 1 cup water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- When butter melts, reduce the heat to low.
- Add flour to saucepan all at once and beat with a wooden spoon over low heat for about a minute until mixture pulls away from sides of the pan.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Add cheese to pan and beat with wooden spoon until thoroughly mixed.
- Add 4 eggs, one at a time, beating each into the batter until well mixed before adding the next.
- Continue beating mixture until it is smooth, shiny and firm.
- Drop batter in small spoonfuls onto a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Beat remaining egg with 1/2 tbsp water, then brush tops of uncooked gougeres with egg wash.
- Bake in upper third of the over for 15-20 minutes or until golden and doubled in size.
- Remove from oven serve hot or can be served at room temperature.