These are wonderful little cheese puff appetizers that are great for parties (or anytime!)
Make and share this Gougeres French Cheese Puffs recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Add butter, salt, pepper and nutmeg to 1 cup water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- When butter melts, reduce the heat to low.
- Add flour to saucepan all at once and beat with a wooden spoon over low heat for about a minute until mixture pulls away from sides of the pan.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Add cheese to pan and beat with wooden spoon until thoroughly mixed.
- Add 4 eggs, one at a time, beating each into the batter until well mixed before adding the next.
- Continue beating mixture until it is smooth, shiny and firm.
- Drop batter in small spoonfuls onto a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Beat remaining egg with 1/2 tbsp water, then brush tops of uncooked gougeres with egg wash.
- Bake in upper third of the over for 15-20 minutes or until golden and doubled in size.
- Remove from oven serve hot or can be served at room temperature.
A good recipe they turned out beautifully, but 1/4 tsp. nutmeg is too much. Next time I'll use 1/8. Of course I used Swiss cheese, as Gruyere is way beyond my budget (30.00 a pound here), so that may have made the difference. I made the butter, water, salt, pepper, nutmeg and flour on the stove, then transferred the mixture to my stand mixer to finish it off. Worked beautifully!
I'm a beginner cook and I was very afraid at first. But they turned out very tasty. Even my mom, my first critic liked them a lot. Try them, you won't regret! Thanks for posting!
These were fantastic! Will definitely make them again. Thank you!