Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Quick and easy breakfast dish that I've used for a long time. A friend who owns a B & B gave it to me. FOOTNOTE: Revised 1/22/07 to include size of bread cubes and oven temp--sorry about that Bergy! :)
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 lb sausage, cooked until brown and drained
- 3⁄4 cup cheese, shredded
- 6 slices bread, cubed into 1/2 inch cubes
- In a 13 X 9 lightly greased baking dish, place your bread cubes evenly on the bottom.
- In a medium bowl, whip the eggs together with the milk until well beaten.
- Stir in the sausage and cheese and pour over the bread crumbs.
- Cover with foil and bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- I lightly sprinkle more shredded cheese on top when this comes out of the oven.
Made for football tag- I agree with Ang's son. "This was the bomb." I have had simialr but more complicated recipes and like this one just fine. Made this for Sunday breakfast. I LOVE that it is in 1 pan and it warmed the kitchen up from the morning chill. It hen warmed the bellies of DS, his gf and myself as we got ready for some football. I used some italian bread made the day before and 8 medium homegrown eggs. (neighbors chickens) I believe this will be a regular for Sunday mornings through the winter. I like the basic recipe and also see that this can be changed out or added to as tastes would like. (helps with the change from the same as well) Next time I will add in some green peppers and onions and maybe swap in some mozzerella cheese blend. Sherry thank you for this recipe.
I made this today for breakfast and using the words of my 6 yr old...."This was the bomb!" :) We both really enjoyed it and have enough for leftovers. I used soft wheat bread and turkey breakfast sausage to make it a bit healthier. Thanks for this recipe! You're a sweetie! :)
I was going to take away 1 star because there was no oven temp nor the size of the bread cubes in the instructions but this recipe is so delicious that I didn't have the heart to do it. 5 star all the way! - Ideal for a brunch - double the recipe bake in two 13x9 dishes and you have enough for 8-12 sevings depending what else you have on the menu. I cut the recipe back to 1 seving (2 eggs, 2 slices bread) baked in 350 oven 15 minutes covered 12 minutes uncovered. Bread cut into 1/2" cubes. Seved with a Thai sweet chili sauce. It doesn't come much better than this. Thanks Sherrybeth for posting this recipe