1 hr 15 mins
This Golden Sunflower Bread is dairy free and made with whole wheat and sunflower seeds. It's light on flavor and big on taste. You can find more of my delicious recipes at www.Bakerette.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/4 cups warm water (110-115F degrees)
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cups bread flour
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup honey (agave nectar has a low glycemic index, making it acceptable for diabetics to eat) or 1/3 cup agave nectar (agave nectar has a low glycemic index, making it acceptable for diabetics to eat)
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 5 1/2-6 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter, melted (optional)
- 1In a large mixing bowl, add warm water and yeast. Cover and let activate for 10 minutes.
- 2Add bread flour, canola oil, Agave, salt and 4 cups of whole wheat flour to the yeast mixture. Mix thoroughly.
- 3Mix in sunflower seeds. Slowly add whole wheat flour one cup at a time until you reach a firm dough.
- 4Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead for 5-8 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a lightly warmed oven for 1 hour or until doubled in size (hint: Before I place the bread in the oven, I turn the oven on to 350F degrees and warm it for only a few seconds--20-seconds. You don't want the oven hot).
- 5Punch down the dough and divide into either two greased 9 x 5-inch loaf pans, or three greased 8 x 4-inch loaf pans. I like to put parchment on the very bottom of my pans for ease of turning out the loaves. Cover the loaves and let rise in a warm place for an additional 30 mins or until doubled in size.
- 6Bake at 350F degrees for 35 minutes, then brush on melted butter and continue to bake for 5 minutes more or until lightly browned.
- 7Remove from oven and brush on remaining melted butter. Turn out from pans and place on a wire rack to cool completely before cutting and serving.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Golden Sunflower Seed Wheat Bread
Serving Size: 1 (118 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 354.3
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 586.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 8.1 g
- Protein 10.3 g