Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 mins
Tender, steak with a golden crust. I like mine with a spicy sweet dressing like western. try this with pork strips too. From Best Loved Community Recipes.
- 1 lb boneless beef top round steak, cut 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup cooking oil
- Pound steak to 1/4 inch thick.
- Sprinkle with lemon pepper and salt.
- Cut into 1 inch strips.
- Place in buttermilk for about 5 minutes.
- Remove and then dredge in flour.
- In large skillet over med heat, heat 2 TBS oil.
- Add 1/2 of the steak strips and brown on both sides.
- About 3-4 minutes.
- Move to paper towels, then transfer to warm plate and keep warm.
- Repeat with remaining strips.
- Serve with dipping sauces of your choice.
Laurie, these turned out great! Very tender from the pounding and buttermilk, tasty with the lemon pepper seasoning, and crispy brown with the flour coating. I used a ziplock bag for the flour and just shook the meat strips until coated, then used tongs to shake off the excess and put them in the hot oil. I used my electric fry pan and set the temp on 400 F. I held them on a rack over a baking sheet, and then when the entire batch (I made 3 lbs) was finished I popped them in a pre-heated 400 F oven to warm for about 4 minutes. We served them with a side of green beans for a very tasty dinner. Thanks.
I used Derf's review as a guide and tried to cook them on a higher heat to get them to brown, and they browned nicely for me. My family didn't really like the flavor of them, though. Not sure if it was the lemon pepper seasoning. So, it seems we had the opposite of Derf's results. Sorry I can't be more specific but I don't eat meat (though I cook it quite often!) and have to go by the tastes and comments I can drag out of family members.
Disgusting! My entire family hated this recipe. Steak should not be battered and fried, ever!