Recipe by Janet Knowles
Another tried and true recipe from the 1977 "Introducing Cottage Cheese" from Borden. Not too spicy.
- 2 lbs crookneck yellow squash
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 4 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a covered saucepan, cook the squash in a small amount of salted water until tender (about 5 minutes); drain.
- In a medium bowl, combine egg yolks, cottage cheese, flour and salt.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Fold into the cottage cheese mixture.
- In a greased 11x7 inch baking dish, layer half the squash, half the egg mixture, half the cheddar cheese and half the crumbled bacon.
- Repeat the layering.
- Bake 20-25 minutes.
- Refrigerate leftovers.