Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Focaccia is yummy, a favorite from Italy, it is a flattened yeast bread that is drizzled with olive oil and some times sprinkled with Savory toppings before baking. This is one of my family's favorites. The recipe comes from Gourmet Cooking.
- In a large bowl, combine yeast, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 cuo of flour.
- In 1 quart saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons oil and 1 cup water over medium heat until very warm (120-130) With mixer at low speed, gradually beat liquid into flour mixture just until blended, increase speed to medium and beat 2 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup flour, beat 2 minutes.
- With wooden spoon, stir in whole wheat flour to make a soft dough.
- Knead dough in bowl 8 minutes, working in about 1/2 cup more flour.
- (You can use mixer with Dough Hook- therefore you don't have to mix or knead by hand).
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap, let rest 15 minutes.
- Grease 13 x 9 inch metal baking pan, sprimkle with cormeal.
- Pat dough into pan, pushing to corners.
- cover loosely with plastic wrap.
- let rise in a warm place (80-85 degrees) 30 minutes, or until doubled.
- In 10 inch skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat, add onion, cook until tender.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- With finger make deep indentations 1 inch apart over entire surface of dough.
- (almost to bottom of pan).
- Drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon oil.
- Spoon onion evenly over dough in pan.
- Sprinkle with remaining ingredients.
- Bake Focaccia for 20-25 minutes, until golden.
- Cool 10 minutes in pan on wire rack.
- Serve warm, or, remove from pan and cool completeley and serve later.
fabulous-tasting bread. I made it by hand and the recipes made it very easy to follow. Oniony and warm and simply delicious!