Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Got this from Food Network Sara's Secret Show.
- 4 lbs potatoes, yukon
- 12 garlic cloves
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2⁄3 cup mild goat cheese (about 3 1/2 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup scallion, minced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2- to 2-inch pieces, and the garlic, with enough salted cold water to cover the potatoes by 1/2 inch. Bring to a simmer and cook, covered, for 15 to 25 minutes, or until they are tender but not falling apart.
- While the potatoes are cooking, in a small saucepan heat the cream with the 1 cup butter, the goat cheese, and salt and pepper, to taste over moderately low heat, stirring, until the butter and cheese are just melted and smooth. Keep the mixture warm.
- Drain the potatoes and garlic and force them through a food mill fitted with the medium disk or a ricer into a bowl. With an electric mixer beat in the butter mixture, the scallion, and salt and pepper to taste, beating just until the potatoes are fluffy and smooth (do not over-beat), and transfer the mixture to a 1-quart shallow flameproof baking dish. Dot with remaining 2 tablespoons butter.
- (The potatoes may be prepared up to this point 2 days in advance and kept covered and chilled. Reheat the potatoes in a preheated 400 degree oven for 20 minutes, or until they are heated through, before broiling them.)
- Broil the potatoes under a pre-heated broiler about 4 inches from the heat for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the top is golden.