Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
This traditional recipe is from the Ivory Coast.
- 2 pineapple, whole and unpeeled
- 10 cups water, divided
- 1 (3 inch) fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemongrass, coarsely chopped peeled or 1 tablespoon lemon zest, grated
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- mint sprig (optional)
- Remove peel from pineapples; cut peel into 3-inch pieces (reserve pulp for another use). Combine peels and 6 cups water in Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 30 minutes.
- Drain in a colander, reserving 4 cups cooking liquid; press peels to release moisture. Discard peels.
- Combine ginger, lemongrass/lemon rind, and 2 tablespoons water in a food processor; process until finely chopped. Place ginger mixture on a dampened double layer of cheesecloth. Gather edges of cheesecloth together; tie securely.
- Place cheesecloth bag and 4 cups water in a medium bowl; let stand 30 minutes. Strain reserved pineapple cooking liquid and ginger mixture into a large pitcher; discard cheesecloth bag.
- Add sugar; stir well. Chill. Serve over ice. Garnish with mint sprigs, if desired.