Recipe by rpgaymer
I have recently discovered the glory that is Spam. People say if you're not introduced to it as a kid, you will hate it as an adult. LIES! I tried it at 28 and am in love. So versatile, and the way it just melts in your mouth like some sort of creamy meatcake is out of this world. Here is a burger recipe I came up with, and I like it more than a regular burger. I used Turkey Spam, which is just as good as the original and has 1/3 of the fat and calories. Regular Spam or Light Spam would work well too, I'm sure.
- 1 avocado, peeled & pitted
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 green onion, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 (12 ounce) can Spam, sliced lengthwise into four equal-sized slices
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 eggs
- 4 hamburger buns, sliced
- 8 -12 pickled jalapeno peppers
- 1 tomatoes, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Make your guac: Place avocado and lime juice in a small bowl and mash with a potato masher until smooth. Fold in garlic, green onion and cilantro until incorporated. Set aside.
- Melt one tablespoon of butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle cumin, oregano & both peppers over both sides of your Spam slices; place Spam slices in skillet and fry for 8-10 minutes, flipping halfway through, until crispy.
- While spam is cooking, melt the other tablespoon of butter in a separate pan, then crack the eggs into it and cook until whites are firm and yolks are runny, about 3-5 minutes.
- Spread guacamole on bottom of hamburger buns. Place the sliced tomato and pickled jalapenos on the guac, then top with a Spam slice. Finally, top with a fried egg & serve.