Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I have used this lasagne recipe for as long as I can remember. I try new versions and always go back. I found it in the OLD OLD Better Home and Gardens Cook Book. The recipe in the newer book is similar but not the same.
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon basil, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 1⁄3 cups tomato paste
- 10 ounces lasagna noodles
- 3 cups fresh ricotta cheese or 3 cups cream-style cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, sliced very thin
- Brown meat;spoon off excess fat.
- Add next 5 ingredients.
- Simmer uncovered 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cook lasagne noodles in large amount of boiling salted water till tender; drain; rinse.
- Combine remaining ingredients, except Mozzarella cheese.
- Place half the noodles in 13x9x2-inch baking dish; spread with half the cheese filling; add half the Mozzarella cheese and half the meat sauce. Repeat layers.
- Bake at 375 Degrees about 30 minutes. Let stand 20 minutes before cutting in squares--filling will set slightly.
- Or assemble early; refrigerate. Be sure to allow 15 minutes or so longer in the oven.